Mak Presents :: Spotify
So they asked one of the new kids on the block (Makenzy here!) to write this month’s Ramble, and I was quite excited to do it! I’m a huge music lover & nothing makes me happier than live music–it seems like all I’ve done this summer is go to concerts and music festivals. I recently moved to Nashville after graduating from the University of Tennessee (fun fact: I’m the lone Vols fan in the office), and I am feelin’ pretty lucky to be so close to countless shows –though my wallet might have a different opinion on that matter. I’ve put together some of my recent favorites for your (hopeful) enjoyment–Happy listening!
Spotify playlist at the bottom.
1. Smaller Than My Mother [Overcoats] :: A friend told me about this band a couple of months ago, and I haven’t been able to stop listening to since. Their voices are beautiful & they have a truly unique sound.
2. Put a Flower in Your Pocket [The Arcs] :: I recently got to see The Arcs at Forecastle in Louisville, and they put on a great show. Check them out when they head to our very own Franklin, TN for Pilgrimage Music Festival next weekend!
3. Call Me In The Afternoon [Half Moon Run] :: This is my go-to song when I need to put a little pep in my step!
4. Flow with It (You Got Me Feeling Like) [St. Paul & The Broken Bones] :: This groovy group is on the top of my must-see list, and I’m desperately trying to recruit friends to travel to one of their upcoming shows with me (if one of you is reading this right now, help a sista out). I can’t help but unintentionally *attempt to* sing this song–happened just now while typing this, actually.
5. Girl Harbor [Manchester Orchestra] :: Can’t get enough of this song. I always hit repeat when it comes on.
6. Wish I Knew You [The Revivalists] :: I don’t have a lot to say about this one, but it’s a recent favorite, so into the Ramble it goes!
7. Whirlwind [Joseph] :: This trio of sisters have truly amazing voices, and I’m a sucker for harmonies. I saw them at Bonnaroo in June & I can’t wait to see them again in Nashville next month! This is the song I like most off their new album (but I think their first album is better, so check it out too).
8. A Change Is Gonna Come [Sam Cooke] :: Add this to a road trip playlist and truly belt it, trust me.
9. Let It Breathe [Water Liars] :: Shout-out to Alli for introducing me to this band during our first week of work together!
10. Undercover Martyn [Two Door Cinema Club] :: This is my favorite band from high school, and I’m going to see them next month…for the third time…don’t judge…
11. Get Low [James Vincent McMorrow] :: Listening to James Vincent McMorrow always relaxes me & makes me want to jump up & dance at the same time (??).
12. Laughter [Nathaniel Rateliff] :: You probably know him from Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats, but I’ve been listening to a lot of Rateliff’s solo stuff lately. This song doesn’t need lyrics to be moving. P.S. They are wonderful live!
13. Back Pocket [Vulfpeck] :: Not seeing this group at Bonnaroo is probably my biggest Roo Regret.
14. Stand By Me [Florence + The Machine] :: Loving my girl Florence’s cover of this Otis Redding classic.
15. Naive [The Kooks] :: Randomly throwin’ it back to ’06 with this one.